Algonquin Park Ice Conditions
All lakes in Algonquin Park are now free of ice.
A flight over Algonquin Park on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 confirmed that all lakes are now open with the exception of the East Arm of Lake Opeongo (see image below). On Thursday, May 8, 2014, the East Arm of Lake Opeongo still contained floating ice which could potentially impede navigation depending upon the wind direction. Anyone traveling in this area should consult with the Lake Opeongo Access Point Permit Office for the latest information. Backcountry permits for previously ice covered lakes are now available.
Image: East Arm of Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Park on May 7, 2014.
Technically, the official ice out date for Lake Opeongo is recorded when at boat can safely navigate from the Lake Opeongo Access Point to the Happy Isle Portage in the North Arm. As of May 7, 2014 this is possible marking this the ice out date for Lake Opeongo in 2014. Ice out for Algonquin Park's largest lake, Lake Opeongo, has ranged from as early as March 29 (2012) to as late as May 15 (1972). The current average ice out date is April 23, shown by the dotted trend line below. The official ice out date for Lake Opeongo in 2014 was May 7.
Satellite imagery taken on May 7, 2014 all lakes are now open, except for ice on the East Arm of Lake Opeongo. The ice on the East Arm of Lake Opeongo may be visible in this satellite image (or it could be cloud). Algonquin Park's higher elevation and headwaters areas typically allow lake ice to remain longer than lower elevation areas outside the Park.
- Algonquin Park Webcam
- Latest Images on Facebook & Spring 2014 Album
- Spring in Algonquin Park
- Fishing in Algonquin Park
- Current Weather Conditions & Current Snow Depth Report
- The Raven Talks About Fish and Lakes
- Fishes of Algonquin Provincial Park (publication)
- Fishing in Algonquin Provincial Park (publication)
- Lake Depth Maps of Algonquin Provincial Park (publication)
- The Science Behind Algonquin's Animals
- Backcountry Access Points
- Backcountry Canoeing
- Canoe Routes Map of Algonquin Provincial Park - Explore Online