Issued: April 13, 2017 - Updated: April 28, 2017 - Current as of
Algonquin Park Delayed Spring Openings 2017
April 26, 2017 Update
Beginning April 28, 2017, camping permits will be issued for all backcountry campsites. For current closures and access road restrictions, see Algonquin Park Advisories.
Spring conditions vary throughout Algonquin Park. Thorough trip planning and appropriate safety precautions should be taken to ensure a safe experience. Park users should expect to encounter some or all of the following hazards when traveling in Algonquin Park:
- Ice remaining on water bodies in sheltered areas;
- Snow, ice and muddy conditions on portages, trails and campsites;
- Extremely cold water temperatures;
- High water levels and fast currents; and/or
- Limited or varied accessibility on many access roads due to snow conditions or other spring hazards.
April 25, 2017 Update
Ontario Parks, the government organization responsible for the management of Algonquin Provincial Park, has announced they have reopened the Highland Backpacking Trail as a result of receding water levels in the Madawaska River. Backcountry camping is now available along the Highland Backpacking Trail only. All other backcountry areas remain closed (as described below). Park visitors heading onto this or other trails should expect to find ice, snow, mud, and swollen rivers with fast moving current.
Watch for more updates as conditions warrant.
April 13, 2017 Bulletin
Ontario Parks, the government organization responsible for the management of Algonquin Provincial Park, is reporting that the 2017 opening dates for the following areas of Algonquin Park will be delayed until April 28, 2017 (subject to change) due to the late spring arrival:
Most areas of Algonquin Park are still impacted with winter conditions and inaccessible snow covered roads. In addition, most backcountry lakes still have ice on them and these lakes are expected to remain ice covered for at least another couple weeks. Conditions are being monitored and we will be updating this information regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What happens if I have a reservation for one of the areas listed above prior to April 28?
- Arrangements have been made with the Ontario Parks Reservation Service for all customers holding a reservation with an arrival date up to and including the night of April 27, 2017 to receive a full refund or change their reservation dates without penalty. Ontario Parks Reservation Service staff will be contacting affected reservation holders directly to inform them of this information and to make necessary changes to their reservations.
- Ice Out Report
- Spring in Algonquin Park
- Live Views of Algonquin Park
- Latest Updates on Facebook
- Ontario Parks Reservation Service