December 18, 2012
Algonquin Land Claim Agreement-in-Principle
The Ontario Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs has released the "Preliminary Draft Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement-in-Principle December 2012”. This document is now available for public review.
These main elements of a potential land claim settlement cover over 90% of the Algonquin Park land area. "This document sets out proposed key elements of a Final Agreement that would settle the Algonquin land claim. It includes, among other things:
- $300 million transfer to the Algonquins of Ontario;
- transfer of not less than 117,500 acres of provincial Crown land to Algonquin ownership;
- recommended approaches to address:
- Algonquin harvesting rights, including the right to harvest wildlife, fish, migratory birds and plants;
- parks and protected areas;
- Algonquin heritage and culture;
- Algonquin eligibility and enrollment".
For more information see the Ontario Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs Algonquin Land Claim Website.