Originally Posted: July 6, 2012 - Status: Expired
Public Advisory: Extreme Forest Fire Danger Rating
Algonquin Park's Forest Fire Danger Rating is currently listed as "Extreme". Park visitors are strongly encouraged to use caution with campfires, camp stove, barbecues, and other items that could ignite combustible material. Below average spring and early summer rainfall has resulted in dry conditions across Algonquin Park and beyond.
On July 13, 2012, Ontario Parks is advising those camping in Algonquin Park to be prepared to use a camp stove for cooking as the potential for a Restricted Fire Zone (fire ban) is possible in the next several days.
Campers are reminded:
- Use a designated campfire pit;
- Clean flammable material from around your campfire pit;
- If winds are brisk, do not light;
- Build a small fire only;
- Attended your campfire at all times;
- Have water available to extinguish your fire in case of emergency; and
- If your campfire is too hot to touch, its too hot to leave.